[nycbug-talk] boot problem solved

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Sep 2 22:37:54 EDT 2007

Yup, I did it again;

regarding this exchange:

Gotta love how this stuff still happens in 2007, huh>

What we need to do is validate that the BIOS of your motherboard is
mapping device at 0x80 to what FreeBSD later interprets to be "ad4".

The 1st and 2nd stage boot loader isn't going to know anything about
kernel device names.

We know because the 1st stage loader is starting that the BIOS is
picking the correct physical drive to read the MBR from.

Break out of the boot loader and send us the output of:

	lsdev -v
	boot-conf
	show

Also, we can find out what changed in loader(8) on AMD64 pretty easily
between 6.0 and 6.2 using CVS.

And following the instructions regarding watching for the spinner and
hitting any key at the prompt, I
was not getting the spinner at all.

But, I went back to look at my bios settings and did not have the
bootable drive set to be the first
drive after the cdrom to try to boot from.

So, I corrected that and I am up an running.
In the future all your info and instructions will be very useful.
Thanks again, I was contemplating swapping out the drive with the root
partition with an IDE drive
and reinstalling, that would been the long way around and a waste of
time.
Jeff K