[nycbug-talk] Day 2, EuroBSDCon 2007 report

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Sun Sep 16 00:55:31 EDT 2007

Hey All,

Day 2 was awesome!

The morning, I missed some things- Brooks Davis was detained, so the
morning got off to a rocky start... and he didn't get to give his
talk about Open Source in his company.  In the meantime Yvan
Vanhullebus gave a talk about how they use BSD at their firewall
company in France.

John Hartmann's keynote was an INSANELY COOL SURPRISE.
He gave a talk about CMS pipes, "Real mens pipes", and how they
differ from UNIX pipes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartmann_pipeline
http://vm.marist.edu/~pipeline/

Think IBM Denmark, 1970's.  Totally mind-blowing fun.

Then, Kirk did "A Brief History of the BSD Fast Filesystem", I'd seen
it before, so I went to see Gregers Petersen talk about Open Source
and property.  It was a great talk, however I was surprised to see
such a talk at a technical conference.  However, he spoke mostly
about historical observations about culture, value, trust... in
relation to property- and there was a hearty discussion afterwards.

Then came the big excitement- Pawel Jakub Dawidek, "FreeBSD and ZFS".
I saw this talk in Tokyo, Pawel had just ported Sun's ZFS to
FreeBSD.  Now at this point, it will take some time, but this is the
first SIGNIFIGANT improvement over UFS in the *BSD world in many
years.  His presentation (and his work) was so good, it even got the
attention of many of the OpenBSD developers I spoke to, (who will
remain anonymous :).
The features, performance, and implementation are hard to ignore- and
it's running stable in the 7-CURRENT branch.
I can't tell everyone how INSANELY COOL this is.  Also, Pawel got
some animation help from a friend, the talk was really well done.
Kirk McKusick is even excited...

Antti Kantee and Allistair Crooks did a talk about ReFuise,
"Userspeace FUSE Reimplementation using puffs"- which I wanted to
see, because I know nothing about it- but instead, I saw George
Neville-Neil talk about "Network Protocol Testing in FreeBSD and in
General"- which was awesome.  He showed off his test suite for
network stack testing, as well as discussing his VAST experiences
with network protocol implementation, leading to the tools creation...

Then the fun...

They did a '3rd party software deathmatch', had people from various
ports teams present their systems, and everyone voted on them:

They got some good sport Gentoo guys, a Debian guy, a Pkgsrc guy, an
OpenBSD guy, and a FreeBSD guy (brooks davis) to present a short
snipped on the system.  Much booing, cheering, and heckling for this
competition- and FreeBSD ports won out in the end.  Will post the
votes if I hear them again.
All in all, the voting was not serious, (the judges wore devilish
costumes, and were openly bribed with Beer by the OpenBSD guy),
so...  A very good way to end the conference.

--
Everyone who helped, the DKUUG, everyone- deserve so much mention:

Flemming Frøkjær
Flemming Jacobsen
Lars Thegler
Poul-Henning Kamp
Sidsel Jensen
Simon L. Nielsen
Kristen Nielsen
Lennart Sorth
Robert Watson
Ole Guldberg Jensen
Michael Knudsen
Emmanuel Dreyfus

Everyone worked SO hard, and the conference was awesome.

Today, we go to Legoland in about 10 minutes, I'll report back later...

I'll be at the FreeBSD developers summit, somewhere out in the
country, for the next 2 days before I come home, working on some
personal projects...

/salute

Rocket-
.ike