[nycbug-talk] Addendum, GPLv3 Problem

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 11:00:09 EDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Miles Nordin <carton at ivy.net> wrote:

>     il> With that, it was great to see all the projects are on the
>     il> same page- and that they're all aware and taking proactive
>     il> steps to deal with this now...
>
> well...from your summaries, they're all aware of it, anyway.
>
> sorry if this is kind of a noob question but...if BSD doesn't like
> GPLv3, is there a problem with simply forking the GPLv2 gcc we have
> now?  meaning, simply stop checking into ___BSD CVS any gcc or patch
> to gcc once GNU switches their tree to GPLv3 only.

Well there is the clause that allows for license upgrade in gpl2, you
can release under this version or any future version, that could turn
into a major issue for tracking license version.  Also some one could
make a "new" bsd distribution and use the new license to infect
everything they can and then do some useful work.  Then let the other
bsds incorporate it and claim that Xbsd is gpled or parts of it are.

pcc is looking better and better.

marc

--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus