[nycbug-talk] On-topic server questions

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Fri Apr 11 10:46:01 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:28:06PM -0400, Kit Halsted wrote:
> So, my last off-topic post reminded me that maybe y'all would be good
> people to ask: what's everybody doing for email stuff lately?
>
> I'm a weensy bit overdue for some upgrades, & I'm starting to think
> this newfangled webmail might come in handy once in a while. Also,
> now that HD capacity has hit 1TB, IMAP may finally become useful for
> me.

I'm using mutt (with /lots/ of config tweaking to make it do what I
want) around 95% of the time. It's served off of a set of around 20
Maildirs (sitting on an Infrant NAS) that courier-imapd also serves out
as folders, so that I can access it via Mail on my OS X laptop, via my
ipod touch, and via squirrelmail (which I've used maybe twice). I tried
to switch over to roundcube recently but failed to get the sqlite db
version working on NetBSD, despite that being one of the default pkgsrc
options. For 1 user, a real DB is too heavyweight. So ... back to
squirrelmail as a backup that I rarely use.

I'm told that I should look at Dovecot for imap instead, but I'm lazy
and my setup is already working ;-)

-T

--
There is no reality -- only our own order imposed on everything.
	- Basic Bene Gesserit Dictum