[nycbug-talk] dedicated server rentals?

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Fri Aug 1 11:55:01 EDT 2008

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First off, I'm on the fence about going with a "dedicated server" that I
> rent vs. renting space somewhere and throwing my own hardware in.
> Ideally, I'd start with the first then move to the latter and keep a VPS
> elsewhere as a spare (for VPS, Verio seems to be the king of FreeBSD
> stuff - they also seem to have hacked up 6.x to support multiple IPs in a
> jail).

I'm also fairly interested in a VPS.  I've considered doing colocation
but I can't justify the up front expense for the hardware since it's
coming out of my own pocket.  Right now I have an old desktop on a DSL
connection running email for myself and a few others.  If anyone knows
of a good VPS provider I would definitely consider using them, it sucks
when my mail server goes down everytime a thunderstorm rolls through.

I don't really need a lot of bandwidth and storage needs would probably
be less than 10-20GB for the near term.  I do want something I can set
up how I like but dedicated and colo both seem too expensive so it seems
a good VPS is the way to go for me.

Thanks,
Jonathan