[nycbug-talk] Soekris/PCEngines-ALIX USB Bug

Chris Buechler nycbug at chrisbuechler.com
Sun Aug 10 16:39:41 EDT 2008

Miles Nordin wrote:
> AIUI, disabling ehci just makes it usb 1.x speed.

That's the end result, but the reason for doing it with ALIX boards is
so they don't panic at boot. They used to not boot FreeBSD without
disabling ehci because of the panic. It's been about a year so my memory
of the issue is a bit foggy.

This has been fixed though, myself and a couple other pfSense developers
worked with Pascal at PC Engines to get these issues resolved and make
sure the boards run FreeBSD/pfSense reliably, back before they were
available for purchase. Though I can't say I've actually used the USB
ports for anything to date. All the cases I have don't even have an
opening for the USB ports, though my test boards aren't in a case anyway.

Ike - the fix is to make sure you have the latest BIOS on them, I'm not
aware of any issues with boards that have the v0.99 BIOS and FreeBSD 6.x
and 7.x. You can grab it here. http://pcengines.ch/alix2.htm  There is
one remaining quirk I'm aware of, they won't boot from a disk > 4 GB due
to another BIOS issue.

The vr(4) driver in FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x can be less than stellar at
times, if you check the commit log on RELENG_7 you'll see a *long* list
of vr(4) fixes, so that should get better in the future. There's only
one line diff in if_vr.c between RELENG_6_3 and RELENG_7_0 so the issues
aren't any better in 7.0 than in 6.3. The issues don't seem to affect
the vast majority of people, and I have not had any problems with the
ones I have in production, but CARP on them seems to be problematic. If
I were building a stock FreeBSD for one, I'd go with RELENG_7 if it
proved reliable for the intended usage.

Aside from the BIOS issues, which have largely been resolved, they're
great little boards. Thankfully to date they haven't had the same issues
seen in the Soekris 5501, there have been a few hardware problems with
those that require shipping the boards back for repair. BIOS issues are
easier to cope with.

Can't say I've tried OpenBSD on them though, so I can't offer any
suggestions there.

best,
Chris