[nycbug-talk] CVS questions

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Thu Aug 28 09:11:23 EDT 2008

On Wed 2008.08.27 at 21:39 -0400, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Wed 2008.08.27 at 20:56 -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
> > George Rosamond wrote:

> > > I use -i for different identity files all the time with SSH. . . so I
> > > assume I should be able to do the same with CVS. . . oh, in my
> > > environment variables. . . right?
> > >
> > > Ahhh. . .
> >
> > Oh, duh. . . got it.
>
> let the wheel turn, and he'll figure it out...

joking of course ;)

> > Thanks Okan.
> >
> > I thinking about the problem wrong.
> >
> > Multiple identity files in ssh_config.
>
> kinda.  sure you can use multiple identity files, but i would create a
> new block instead.

to take this one step further; it should be reminded that using multiple
identify files is fine, but know that they will count against attempted
tries.  so if a sshd allows 3 attempts and you have, say 5 keys, ssh
will try the identities in order - you'll see where this can be
problematic.

the same rule applies if one is using ssh-agent; sure you can load 20
keys in there, but something else has to tell the ssh client which
identity to send, usually in a ssh_config(5) block.

my point is that ssh_config(5) is extremely useful, of course for far
more than just managing keys; i only mention this for i have yet to see
the masses understand its usefulness yet....or maybe i'm mis-informed.

cheers,
okan