[nycbug-talk] A Friday Brain-Teaser, Fwd: (Theory) The BGP exploit: Effects on Tor routing and overall anonymity?

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Fri Aug 29 12:16:23 EDT 2008

Hi All,

So this is a bit of a cross-post, I thought it was relevant/
interesting, since we've all been buzzing about our very own Alex, and
the wild Defcon demo on scary BGP re-routing; and many folks here have
an interest in the TOR network.

ike-summary:

- Essentially, the first poster asks if the BGP attack could be used
to break TOR anonynimity.

- The second poster explains a quick no, and then a sort of 'yes but
it's not in the realm of sanity', in good detail.

Interesting stuff- sorry again for the cross-post!

Best,
.ike

 From the TOR project 'or-talk' mailing list,
   Their mailing list can be found over here, for the record:
   <http://www.torproject.org/documentation.html.en>

On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:21 AM, F. Fox wrote:

> Once I read about the recent BGP exploit (
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/revealed-the-in.html ) -
> which
> has the potential to re-route the traffic of millions of users - I
> had a
> question, from a theoretical standpoint:
>
> If such siphoning drew in traffic passing in between Tor nodes, would
> this have an effect on reducing anonymity for the users having their
> traffic relayed by these nodes? If so, how?
>
> - --
> F. Fox

On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:46 AM, John Brooks responded: