[nycbug-talk] Desktop

Siobhan P. Lynch trish at bsdunix.net
Tue Dec 2 12:08:11 EST 2008

I use Mac OS X, primarily, of course i use FreeBSD primarily for
server work, but OS X gives me the best of 3 different worlds:

1) a user friendly, crisp, and intuitive graphical environment
2) a wide range of useful software - including virtualization - to run
my BootCamp partition off VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop when I
need to (Parallels is better for windows  gaming, VMWare Fusion seems
to be faster in general though)
3) a whole UNIX-like (mostly FreeBSD userland) system underneath, so
that I can do all the stuff I would do on a UNIX-like  desktop machine.

I understand not everyone can afford a Mac, but there is also OSX86 (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
), which I have running on several PeeCees built specifically for it.
I built the PeeCees for under 500 each, and if you run a machine that
has a processor with VT extentions, then you really have no
difference, given the BIOS translation mechanism :)

ciao.

-Trish