[nycbug-talk] YouTube Channel for BSD Technical Talks

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Thu Dec 4 16:16:58 EST 2008

    rl> Are you providing the bandwidth?

were you not following the discussion?  I'm not providing the videos,
the bandwidth, nor the content.  I thought that was pretty obvious,
but in case you missed it, I'm not.  I'm complaining that I have to
hear about it when I can't easily watch it.

Obviously there are plenty of reasons to use Youtube which makes it
popular.  Aside from ad-supported bandwidth, a lot of people use it
because they already know how and are too lazy to learn more free but
different and possibly more awkward tools, or they have some
proprietary gizmo with a built-in Youtube! uploader so stupid-simple
their kid sister can use it, and they don't want to deal with any of
this techno mumbo jumbo, they want to go shopping for chocolate and
shoes instead.  good reasons.  I never meant to say Youtube! is dumb
and anyone who uses it is dumb.  I said, wouldn't it make sense to
find another way to distribute videos if your intent is to advocate
BSD?

I think a software community is one level of dead when they don't have
enough working tools to support themselves and have to borrow from
some other ``enemy'' camp to survive, like downloading the source for
cl-httpd from an Apache-run site, or developing FreeBSD inside
VirtualBox on Mac OS X because FreeBSD can't host any reasonable
virtualization (not even Xen, though NetBSD can do Xen dom0/domU).
It's a whole 'nother level of dead when they HAVE tools available to
support themselves, but choose not to use them.

    rl> Anyway there are YouTube rippers out there, gnash, and
    rl> probably other stuff I don't know about.

right, Ray.  That's what you do, is it?  use gnash?  which one do you
use, the one in pkgsrc or freebsd ports or openbsd ports, eh?  I'm
surprised the evil GNU license doesn't scare you away by trying to
deprive programmers of a living or some such bullshit.

get real.  You open it on a Mac, or probably on Windows.  and it's
native Mac/Windows, not running inside a VM on a BSD host, isn't it?
That's what almost all of you sorry lot of motherfucking apologists
do.  You tell me what my kind of marginal whiner ought to do if he
cares so damn much, and brush under the rug what you do yourselves.
I'm among the biggest BSD advocates here just because I watch Youtube
under Opera with COMPAT_LINUX, and that's PATHETIC.

Ubuntu people are really good about distributing their videos in open
formats that play with the native software included in their
distribution.  And I guarantee you anyone who asks for a more free
format will get a shamed apology, not a bunch of rants about how
practical and profitable and successful the proprietary system is.

CCC always gives me videos of the congress and the camp in a format I
can play natively on BSD, even though the Krauts use almost
exclusively Linux, rarely BSD.

It's only from other supposed BSD people I'm getting the crappy
proprietary formats.  How can I complain to Linux-centric developers
that they keep breaking the ffmpeg builds on BSD with their Linuxisms,
when there's such shitty advocacy from within the BSD camp?  On BSD
where getting FLASH to work is much harder than Ubuntu, _I'm_ the
troll for asking for an open format, and I'm supposed to accomodate
the platform-insensitive choices of these supposed advocates?

Yes, I am.  That is, as you've all just collectively defined it, the
BSD culture.

And that's why your OS is so fucking dead!  It's your own damn fault.
What a disappointment.