[nycbug-talk] Setting up a FreeBSD "backup" box

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Dec 9 13:14:21 EST 2008

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:42 PM, George Rosamond <
> george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> Matt Juszczak wrote:
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> If you were given the task of setting up a FreeBSD box with 1 TB disk
>>> space (mirrored RAID 1) for use by multiple clients for backing up their
>>> data (mostly via rsync and sftp), how would you set it up?  Yes, its a
>>> given that one would use a minimalist install, create home dirs for each
>>> client, enable quotas to keep file storage under control, but what else?
>>> Is there a shell out there that ONLY allows the use of rsync and perhaps
>>> sftp?  I've seen rbash and people also set the shell to sftp-server.
>>>
>>> Just wondering how others would set this up.  Thanks!
>>
>> There's an rsync-only shell out there that you can config and compile
>> that's perfect, IMHO.
>>
>> It will also do chroot.
>>
>> And it's funny. . . was looking for the code, and found a posting by me
>> on it
>>
>> http://osdir.com/ml/user-groups.bsd.nycbug/2005-11/msg00094.html

I lost the reply to my post about the scponly restricted shell, but
someone stated that it does not handle rsync.  That's not the case.  Do a
"make config" in /usr/ports/shells/scponly - there is an option to add
rsync compatibility and many other things like chroot and svn compat.

Just an FYI...

Charles