[nycbug-talk] NY/NJ companies using FreeBSD

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Thu Dec 11 14:10:07 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM, George Rosamond
<george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> A long while back, maybe five years ago, we attempted to do this with
> NYCBUG. . . . create a central database of NYC-area BSD using companies.
>
> With such a vague goal, ie, determining BSD-using firms for the sake of
> it, it's difficult.

I don't see any official list on nycbug.org so I guess you didn't
succeed or the decision was made not to disclose it. Netcraft.com can
be a good source of information; at least for the www servers running
FreeBSD, but I'm sure you already used it.

> If you actually explain what your goal is, it might be a bit easier to
> provide some direction. . .
>
> eg.,
>
> are you looking to apply for dev/sa jobs?
>
> are you cataloging BSD-based hardware solutions?
>
> do you have a service to provide to those firms?

Yes, I would like to catalog FreeBSD shops in NYC area, (1) for
general information as to the scale of FreeBSD adoption and deployment
of FreeBSD servers in the NYC, and (2) as a New Yorker but not
currently living in NY, I'm definetly interested in any opportunities
for FreeBSD sysadmin work in the NYC.

George, I think that such a list on nycbug.org would be beneficial to
many. Not only it would point possible customers interested in BSD
solutions to the right places, but also it would showcase that BSD
presence in the NYC is strong and widespread.

--
Andy Kosela
ora et labora