[nycbug-talk] NY/NJ companies using FreeBSD

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Dec 11 14:52:09 EST 2008

For the second, post yourself to the jobs@ list, I'd recommend.

> George, I think that such a list on nycbug.org would be beneficial to
> many. Not only it would point possible customers interested in BSD
> solutions to the right places, but also it would showcase that BSD
> presence in the NYC is strong and widespread.

We'd have to dig up the old list. . . but it wasn't exactly deep on any
level.

It was basically a handful of small shops out of a layer of NYCBUG
members.  Plus "oh, I think such-and-such company uses a BSD."  Not
really worth it.

The best starting point, if you do intend to embark on such a list
yourself, is to look at donations to the projects and various related
projects (like OpenSSH).  And add on sponsors to list of BSD cons.  Of
course you'd have to sift through those lists to find out.

NetCraft is fine for looking at public facing servers that are on the
relevant companies well known FQDNs.  I think, for instance, some of
Microsoft's Hotmail periphery servers are still FBSD boxes.  (what a
long horrible migration process).

It might be less time consuming and more accurate to just do an nmap
script with -O on all IP blocks.  . good luck :)

But remember, even with enormous nmap sweeps with -O, you're only
hitting public facing IPs.  You'll probably hit some netscalers, eg,
that use bsd kernels on their hardware.

As you probably know, there's also the BSDStats project (on fbsd
sysutils/bsdstats) which has a corresponding www site.

Maybe just take a step back and look at the methodology others use for
OS stats. . . but remember the weaknesses mentioned above.

Let us know.