[nycbug-talk] building home firewalls out of soekris boxen

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:38:46 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 4:21 PM, Jerry B. Altzman <jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Anyone local here spend much time *still* with Soekris boxes? I'm
> thinking of building a new firewall or two for the home, I'd like to try
> something OTHER than OpenWRT (since I already have a nice wireless
> gateway, thankyouverymuch...) and the little boxes just ... appeal to me.
>
> Comments? Praises? Brickbats?
>
> Either post here, or send to me & I'll summarize back.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Jerry-

I have played around with these quite a bit.  Lately I haven't had as
much time to tinker and decided I just wanted something easy to
manage.  I've been using PFSense and its worked out great.  Its based
on m0n0wall, another good option.  These are both great if you are
looking for minimal setup time.

PF Sense
http://www.pfsense.com/

mOnOwall