[nycbug-talk] building home firewalls out of soekris boxen

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Mon Feb 4 16:47:38 EST 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Anyone local here spend much time *still* with Soekris boxes? I'm
> thinking of building a new firewall or two for the home, I'd like to try
> something OTHER than OpenWRT (since I already have a nice wireless
> gateway, thankyouverymuch...) and the little boxes just ... appeal to me.

I was working with Jeff Rizzo and NetBSD on some pre-compiled CF images
for Soekris boxes.  We were 99% of the way there -- but because I dont
have a Soekris, we were playing tag with rebuiling custom kernerls.

There were from http://code.google.com/p/bsd-appliance/

Which model were you hoping to use?

The latest image was:

http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/image_cf.200712302122.snapshot0.NetBSD_4.0_BETA2_i386.bz2