[nycbug-talk] Backup service

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 12:09:30 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:29 PM, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:

>  I'm thinking of just keeping it simple and using rsync with delete, and
>  keeping a "local mirror" of backups, and rsyncing that to the backup
>  system each night.

Have you considered the need to archive files, above and beyond
keeping a local mirror? In other words, if a file is deleted or
changed, how much time do you have to discover it before rsync changes
your mirror?

We use the backup feature of rsync to store the backup files by date,
then prune those after a few days. Each host has its own account on
the backup host. The command to back up host foobar today is:

rsync -ab --delete --numeric-ids --exclude=tmp/*
--backup-dir=../archive/2008-02-29 --stats -e "ssh -l foobar" /home
/etc /var/log /usr/local 192.168.1.24:backup/

I looked at duplicity but deemed it overkill. It's also
non-transparent; you can't just cd into the archive and pull out a
file, you have to use duplicity to get it back out.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/