[nycbug-talk] Backup service

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Fri Feb 29 12:59:49 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:29:24PM -0500, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thought all of you may have an opinion on this.  My offsite backup service
> accepts rsync/ssh/scp/sftp.  I'm wondering what the best way to manage
> that is.  Right now, I'd like to keep backups of our SVN repository and
> MySQL dumps+bin logs, to start.
>
> I'm thinking of just keeping it simple and using rsync with delete, and
> keeping a "local mirror" of backups, and rsyncing that to the backup
> system each night.
>
> What do you all suggest?  Are there solutions for this?  I'm experienced
> with things like duplicity, which seem to work well, but I'd like other's
> thoughts.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Matt

I feel that it doesn't make sense to roll your own, so we recently deployed
rsnapshot, which is a perl script that wraps around rsync and uses hard links
to keep multiple, full backups instantly available. The disk space required is just a little more than the space of one full backup, plus incrementals.

So far its running on roughly 400 servers and we have not had any issues other
then running out of inodes on our backup device ;)

http://www.rsnapshot.org/

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer