[nycbug-talk] Sun Acquires MySQL

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Jan 17 03:27:20 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 9:34 PM, Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:
> George Rosamond writes:
>
> > http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/sun-acquires-mysql.html/
>

> >What does the acquisition of MySQL by Sun mean for MySQL users?
> >Given Sun's proven track record as the largest contributor to Open Source,
>
> Maybe my job doesn't give me time to read as many news as I used to... but
> has Sun really contributed that much to open sourse?
>
> Digging around I see: OpenOffice, OpenSolaris and open Java
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1889

Well there's OpenSolaris, or at least parts of it such as ZFS and
dtrace. They've also put out press releases about PostgreSQL, though I
don't know what their actual contribution was... probably just Solaris
related hardware and performance work. Java is a big deal, though it
would've been a lot better for everyone had they opened it a couple
years ago.

-bob