[nycbug-talk] Sun Acquires MySQL

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:12:11 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 9:31 AM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> Does Sun see this as a way of getting consulting work based on open
> source software?  So why didn't they just start hacking away at MySQL
> more to do that . . . it's not like the GPL'd license is going to change
> when they purchase it.

MySQL is *dual* licensed, if I *buy* the commercial license version I
am not subject to any of the gpl conditions.  If I am a mysql
commercial user this is *very* important due to MySQL's history of
using licensing to drive users into commercial license purchase.  The
one I remember off the top of my head was MySQL promising that the
client libs would remain lgpled for ever then changing the license to
gpl.  And gpl land is getting even weirder where licensing is
concerned.

The thing is now sun *owns* it.

marc
--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus