[nycbug-talk] Sun Acquires MySQL

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Thu Jan 17 12:37:06 EST 2008

 From what I've been able to glean, Sun has pretty-much-been one of
the largest proponents of PostgreSQL for a long time - and i've heard
that they're one of the larger $ backers for development (though I
can't find any real docs on that).  I'm mostly worried about what
this means for Postgres, as I prefer that to MySQL by quite a bit.
If they lose clout or bonded development, that would suck.

The deal makes a lot of sense to me though.  I doubt we'll see much
of any change in terms of licensing or sales.  MySQL and Postgres are
both 'enterprise grade' now - they have been for years ( though I
think you're smoking crack if you trust mysql's referential
integrity ).  This gives Sun a chance to compete against Oracle.

Even yesterday someone said to me "We think the system needs to be on
MsSql.  Oracle is overkill, and all the other vendors have said that
SqlServer is the way to go, because open source software like MySQL
can't handle .5M or 1M hits a day and will crash."  I gave him a
bunch of links and referred him to 4 vendors saying "choose one of
these guys over us.. just don't go with the idiots who are telling
you that Microsoft is the answer and MySQL will break".  With Sun
behind it ,  MySQL AB is going to reposition as an Oracle
competitor.  Maybe MySQL gpl will suck less too.

This makes me wonder what will happen to Vertica too- rumors were
that Sun wanted that to compete against Oracle too.