[nycbug-talk] Sun Acquires MySQL

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Fri Jan 18 12:49:13 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Alex Pilosov wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Miles Nordin wrote:
>
>> including the clout part.  When Sun started releasing their own
>> Postgres
>> port and announcing their intent to do some Postgres/Solaris
>> performance
>> optimization, I thought, ``great---at least one clan of wizards has
>> stuck their staffs in the mud to say, `people who know the difference
>> use Postgres.' ''
>>
>> Instantly after the MySQL purchase, Postgres lost massive clout.
> pgsql didn't have clout. pgsql was always 'for us by us' mentality.
> cluebies used pgsql. pgsql has been growing and getting better without
> massive corporate sponsorships, really, this isn't going to change.

Pg has clout in that it is the 'for us & by us' , and many of the
smarter firms use it over mysql, and that there was some big-tech
interest behind it.  Just this week I had to defend Pg as a choice of
Oracle, and my dialogue was "Sun backs it".  MySQL has tons of
publicity on enterprise level deployments from large firms... I need
a new "Postgres is legit for enterprise" diversion... citing IMDB
might not cut it.