[nycbug-talk] somewhat off-topic

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Thu Jul 3 21:17:11 EDT 2008

Hi All,

The topic of keeping log data for internet applications, in various
contexts and applications, has often been a topic of conversation.

With that, I wanted to point out that perhaps the biggest (?) case of
log-file mishaps hit the press today:

--
Google must divulge YouTube log (to Viacom)

"
Leading privacy expert Simon Davies told BBC News that the privacy of
millions of YouTube users was threatened.

He said: "The chickens have come home to roost for Google.  Their
arrogance and refusal to listen to friendly advice has resulted in the
privacy of tens of millions being placed under threat."
Mr Davies said privacy campaigners had warned Google for years that IP
addresses were personally identifiable information.
Google pledged last year to anonymise IP addresses for search
information but it has said nothing about YouTube data.
"

--
Also, the EFF notes:
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/07/viacoms-statement-youtube-user-data-controversy

--
With that, however, it seems to me that the value of simply seeing the
data is quantifiably gigantic to Viacom, marketing statistics worth

Regardless, from any angle- it's a case worth following with regard to
the precedence it sets, IMHO.

Best,
.ike