[nycbug-talk] Nagios or...?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Jun 24 02:08:48 EDT 2008

Talking to myself yet again (I told all this to the dog, but he showed
a distinct lack of interest in the subject) in a top-post, I'll share
a bit more info since I just cut over to Nagios 3.0.2 tonight.

Moving the configs was actually quite simple.  Looking at what was new
and cleaning up the old configs to make everything clearer and to
split config items into more appropriately-named object files was time-
consuming, but well worth the work since the setup is much easier for
me or anyone else looking at it to follow.  The embedded perl
interpreter and some of my plugins still don't get along, but I can
live with that.

ZenOSS is still in the jail, but I have not touched it in weeks.

One unexpected bonus that ZenOSS motivated me to find was a graphing
add-on.  I like the idea of finding some service failing and being
able to jump right to a number of graphs for that host - load, service
response times, etc.  When troubleshooting it's nice to have as much
data as possible.  After digging around a bit and even trying
nagiosgraph for a bit, I installed "PNP4Nagios".  It is amazing, works
as promised, and getting all the basics going is very easy compared to
the other graphing add-ons I found.  I highly recommend anyone running
Nagios 2.x or 3.x have a look at it.  The one big hint is to replace
"check_ping" with "check_icmp" in your commands.cfg.  The latter gives
performance data output which is necessary for pnp4nagios.

Here's the PNP4Nagios site:  http://www.pnp4nagios.org/pnp/start

Now it's time to evaluate some of my other plugins and see what's new
and exciting at nagiosexchange...

Charles