[nycbug-talk] Help mounting slave drive to restore

Matt MT. Terenzio matt at thehour.com
Wed Jun 25 12:26:32 EDT 2008

>     mt> Then try to mount:
>
>     mt> mount -t ufs | /dev/ad0s** /dev/old
>
> <blinks>
>
>     mt> /dev/ad0s1: Permission denied.
>
>     mt> Why is that?
>
> well, it's not executable.
>
> # chmod u+x /dev/ad0s1
>
> but, I don't understand how you could think a command like that is
> appropriate, which makes me scared for your data.  I think you should
> stop, think about what you're trying to accomplish, and talk to some
> people before you do anything like this ever again.

My initial idea was to get back on to the old hard-drive reverse the mv
command that moved the bin directory, then reboot with the old hard-drive as
master again and hope it was working again.

However, at this point I'll even accept just getting a copy of a few of the
directories, like my database and web files.

I gather this is not the way to do that.