[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting: 13-MAR-2008 (Thu) at UNIGROUP

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 18:06:10 EST 2008

Wow, this should be HOT !

FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting at Unigroup NEXT THURSDAY.

-Forest Mars

UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - MARCH 2008 ANNOUNCEMENTS

Here is a quick notice, the full announcement will follow...

1. UNIGROUP'S MARCH 2008 MEETING CHANGE/NOTICE

  Unigroup has moved our March 2008 meeting one week earlier than
  usual to 13-MAR-2008 (2nd Thursday).  This allows us to avoid
  a holiday on the next week AND have the following meeting and
  speaker...

     When:  THURSDAY, March 13, 2008    (** SPECIAL 2nd Thursday **)

    Where:  Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
            Downtown Center
            104 Washington Street
            South West Corner of Wall Street Area
            Downtown, New York City
            ** Please RSVP (not mandatory) **

     Time:  6:15 PM - 6:25 PM  Registration
            6:25 PM - 6:45 PM  Ask the Wizard, Questions,
                               Answers and Current Events
            6:45 PM - 7:00 PM  Unigroup Business and Announcements
            7:00 PM - 9:30 PM  Main Presentation

            ------------------------
    Topic:  FreeBSD 7 Launch Meeting
            ------------------------

  Speaker:  George Neville-Neil,
            The FreeBSD Project Team <www.freebsd.org>

  FreeBSD version 7 was released within the past two weeks
  (CD-ROM images are dated 24-FEB-2008).  We hope to learn as
  much as we can about the latest in FreeBSD from our speaker
  George Neville-Neil, a member of the FreeBSD Project Team.

  From the FreeBSD 7 Release Announcement:
    FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE is now available for the amd64, i386, ia64,
    pc98, and powerpc architectures. The version for the sparc64
    architecture will become available in a few days.

    FreeBSD 7 Links:
      http://www.FreeBSD.org/
      http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/relnotes.html
      http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/errata.html
      http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080/
      ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/

  To REGISTER for this event, please RSVP by using the Unigroup
  Registration Page:
        http://www.unigroup.org/unigroup-rsvp.html

  Giveaways:
  ----------

  O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
  books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our
  meetings.

  Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR has been kind
  enough to provide us with some of their books, which we will
  continue to raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.

  Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
  provided by their User Group programs.

  Note: The chances tend to be about 1 in 5, that any attendee of
  our meeting will walk away with a fairly valuable giveaway
  (ie. most books are valued between $30 and $60)!

  ** Thanks to our friends at Sun Microsystems, Unigroup also has
     some Solaris 10 DVDs to raffle off.

  Fee Schedule:
      Yearly Membership (includes all meetings):      $ 50.00
      Non-Member Single Meeting:                      $ 20.00
      Student Yearly Membership:                      $ 20.00
      Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID):    $  5.00
      Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

  Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.  This includes
  "wraps" such as turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna and grilled
  vegetables as well as assorted salads (potato, tossed,
  pasta, etc), cookies, brownies, bottled water and assorted beverages.

  Directions:

    Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
    Downtown Center
    104 Washington Street
    Wall Street Area
    Downtown, New York City

  This building is located on the West side of the street, the
  second building north of Rector Street.  Cross Streets:
  Between Rector (South) and Carlisle (North) Streets.

  Our meeting location is in the Lower West Corner of Downtown,
  North of the Battery Tunnel, South of the Downtown Hotel,
  East of West Street, and West of Greenwich Street.  Walking West
  on Rector Street from Broadway, you pass Church, Greenwich then
  Washington Streets.

  There are multiple blocks of parking lots right there, between
  Washington and Greenwich Streets, starting at the Battery Tunnel
  and extending North for a number of blocks.

  Nearest mass transit stations, in order, are the '1/9' (Rector
  Street), 'R/W' (Rector Street) and the '4/5' (Wall Street).

  -----

  Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
  Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

-Rob Weiner
 Unigroup Executive Director
 unilist (-a_t-) unigroup.org
 http://www.unigroup.org