[nycbug-talk] cluster storage

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Mar 25 14:18:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:41:46AM -0400, Tim A. wrote:
> Pete Wright wrote:
> > having said that - isilon systems (www.isilon.com) makes a scalable
> > clustered storage solution based on FreeBSD.  they have implemented
> > thier own filesystem to do this.
> >

> Isilon architecture is interesting.
> One thing in particular that bothered me though is that, apparently,
> they're cpu bound to 100MB/s of I/O per node.
> With up to 12 drives per node, that just seems insanely inefficient.

hmm never noticed that to tell you the truth...one thing we have found is
that isilon's filesystem is tuned for large transfers, specifically
reads from client nodes.  you would not want to use it as a general
purpose NAS storage pool IMHO - but drop it in when you have a "hot"
data set.  for example we'll put largish datasets on there that many
different nodes will be accessing and we get acceptable throughput.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright