[nycbug-talk] web apps showing diff timezone after FBSD 6.3 -> 7.0 migration?

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Fri May 2 00:10:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Chris Buechler
<nycbug at chrisbuechler.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Hoping somebody here has seen this before. It's not making any sense to
>  me. Since migrating some sites from FreeBSD 6.3 to 7.0, it seems time
>  zone is treated differently on the 7.0 box than it was on the 6.3 box.
>  Also moved hardware in the process, the 7.0 box was a clean install, not
>  an upgrade.
>
>  Environment summary:  single server with multiple jails, all with the
>  correct timezone configured. `date` shows properly on all of the jails,
>  and is identical to what the 6.3 server showed. Example:
>  [cmb at web ~]$ date
>  Thu May  1 23:32:35 EDT 2008
>
>  The difference I'm noticing is in web applications. For example,
>  http://forum.pfsense.org. While it's 100% identical to what was running
>  on the 6.3 server (just a tar and copy of the files, mysqldump and
>  import of the database, 0 changes to any of it), it now acts like the
>  server's timezone is GMT. Previously it used the local time of the
>  server, and users in other timezones selected their offset if they
>  wanted to see their local time. Now we have 6000+ users with the wrong
>  offset.
>
>  Apache and PHP versions are the same (1.3 and 4.x respectively), though
>  MySQL is now 5.0.x coming from 4.x.
>  Not sure if that would have any effect or not.
>
>  Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Any thoughts much
>  appreciated.
>
>  cheers,
>  Chris

at a guess, what does /etc/localtime look like?  mine is:
 file localtime
localtime: symbolic link to `/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York'

You could be pointing to some where else.

Good luck,

marc
--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus