[nycbug-talk] Amazon Web Services replacing tradition?

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Fri May 9 12:05:35 EDT 2008

I haven't heard many good stories about EC2.

I've heard nightmarish stories about S3 that rest solely on the
implementor's ineptness.

S3 is a fucking beautiful thing.
Thanks to S3, instead of insane partitioning, clustering, and
redundancy management of uploaded photographs as 'originals' and
resizes... i just upload to s3 and don't worry.

*EVERY* single s3 issue i've seen has to do with people relying
entirely on s3.  that's crazy ( i think ).

with findmeon, we store on s3 and do local caching/proxying to s3
content based on some custom load algorithms.  never had a problem .
this setup is 99% because we create different keys for the same s3
image per-user identity, and then fuck with the image a bit (this way
normal means of compariing 2 images by md5/etc won't work).

with other projects, i store on s3 and point CDN servers at it.
costs almost the same, uses better serving infrastructure.

s3 is cheaper and easier.  i'd rather spend my money working on db
relplication and clustering than storing photos across servers.