[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Nagios or...?

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Thu May 29 00:48:46 EDT 2008

forgot to cc list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marc Spitzer <mspitzer at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: [nycbug-talk] Nagios or...?
To: David Lawson <dave at donnerjack.com>

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:19 PM, David Lawson <dave at donnerjack.com> wrote:

>> Well nagios 3.0.2 is stable so do not do 2.x,  and here is a quick
>> answer to db intergration:
>>

>> http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=38&expand=false&showdesc=false
>>
>> Although it may be a little quicker then you want.  Although I would
>> not want direct db connection, I would write a script that dumps files
>> into a directory and have another that loads things into the db every
>> so often.
>
> I've actually heard some complaints about the stability of 3.x, despite its
> release status, which is why I stayed away from it.  Personally, I'd be
> inclined to let it hit at least 3.1 before upgrading, but that's just a
> personal preference kind of thing.  Are you using it and happy with it?

I am not currently using it.  And I have also heard of some threading
issues on freebsd, according to one of the freebsd lists the issue was
fixed by switching threading libs, it effected 2.x as well.  And I do
agree with letting one minor release go by if possible.  And there
should not be much pain going from 3 -> 3.1 if needed, 2.x -> 3.1 will
be harder the keywords/macros have changed in the 3 train relative to
the 2 train.  And since you needed to upgrade from 1 to something. why
have to do it twice?

thanks,

marc
--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus