[nycbug-talk] Cogent and Sprint - a signal of things getting Oldschool?

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Sat Nov 1 21:10:32 EDT 2008

On Nov 1, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> DSL available to me in 2002: 768/6.0, around $100/mo
>> DSL available to me in 2008: 768/6.0, around $100/mo
>
> Optonline Business cable with a /29 of static space, 4 hr. service,
> etc available to me:
> 30Mb/s down/5Mb/s up, around $75/month.
>
> The world is full of tradeoffs.  I live in western Jersey where
> people are excited that Palin may be president.  There is no art, no
> culture, no coffee shops, no record stores.  There is fast internets
> (FiOS is on it's way) and a giant WalMart.
>
> You live in Brooklyn and have such perks as culture, food, and even
> the possibility of meeting like-minded people.  You probably pay at
> least double what I pay in rent, but you get slow internets.

Nah- you and I live in the same place- this list ;P

> The giant apartment complex I live in is having a recession special
> though, $883/month for a 780 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apt.  You can move
> out here and get fast internet and be "that weird guy". :)

But this opens the door to another problem I've been talking to ISP's
about (as a colo customer),

If we have a world where 30mb/s down is becoming the norm for end
users, why is bandwidth at the datacenter still so expensive?!  I'm
not comparing a DSL/Cable line to a solid pipe at a datacenter, but I
am saying that people's expectations and uses of the internet are
changing...

>> Gear deployed/used by DSL company: nothing upgraded, (even squeezing
>> DSL through old lead pairs in my parts of Brooklyn).
>
> You are likely using someone that uses Covad.  Even after going
> bankrupt and getting rid of debt, they are still always broke.
>
>> Even with the newer DSL speeds (1.0/15.0), requiring a new card for
>> the circut at the DSLAM, they won't deploy the new card until I pay
>> for the service- I can't just 'switch over' and start paying more...
>> (the monthly cost is nearly double anyhow).
>
> Tell them (speakeasy) that's BS.

I tried to- they said I'd need to put in an order and even have a new
copper line run to my apt.  Crazy, I thought...

> Covad has a list of COs with the new (earthlink-financed) Samsung
> DSLAMs.  It's either hot or not, but I guarantee you that one
> customer ordering service will not trigger the install of a whole
> new DSLAM (and thanks to covad's fucked-up engineering, another
> backhaul).
>
>> In the last year, the card at the DSLAM burned out and was replaced,
>> with an identical unit- not the newer stuff.
>
> Want to hear another fun fact?  Your DSLAM is made by Nokia, and has
> been EOL'd long, long ago.  Covad has to stock their own spares
> since they are no longer made.  They bought up the last cards a few
> years ago and when they burn through their stock... all gone.
> Again, this is part of why you don't have ADSL2+ - there are no such
> cards for the bulk of the DSLAMs covad has deployed.

Oh joy.

> In case you haven't noticed, I've got a bit of a love/hate thing
> with Covad.  My Optonline stuff has not had any problems yet, but
> Covad is going on nearly two months of getting a line in here for
> backup purposes. Their OSS cannot deal with the fact that that test
> equipment in my CO has been dead for the last two years and they
> cannot figure out how to override my "failed" loop test in the
> system so the order can proceed to the next step.

Alex, is that the free market excellence you were speaking of?
(I'm not trying to be rude- just playful- I know we all want faster/
better/ceaper networks!)

Rocket-
.ike