[nycbug-talk] Statistical Monitoring

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Nov 4 17:05:10 EST 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Jesse Callaway wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What do all of you use for monitoring now-n-days?  In the past I've used a
>> combination of Nagios and Cacti, but I've setup Nagios on a new setup, and
>> while investigating Cacti (via SNMP) I also began investigating Ganglia.
>>
>> What do all of you prefer - push methods or pull methods for statistics
>> gathering and graphing?  It seems using Cacti with SNMP would work nicely,
>> but also using Ganglia to push the data to a centralized gmond (which
>> I've also done in the past) works well, too.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> I'm running Nagios + pnp4nagios which takes the extra data that the
> nagios service checks picks up and makes RRD/Cacti graphs out of them.

I'll just second this.  I looked at zenoss and liked the graphing, but I
already had Nagios, so I upgraded to the latest and added pnp4nagios to
the mix.  It works extremely well and produces really nice graphs.  They
look pretty, and they are also on my weekly/monthly checklist - I review
cpu usage and other trends to see if anything looks odd long-term.  I'm
very happy with this mix.

Charles