[nycbug-talk] Statistical Monitoring

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Wed Nov 5 11:03:51 EST 2008

>>> Once you get ganglia up and running, all it will do is provide you
>>> with statistics and it will be up to you to figure out a way to
>>> collect and store them and then do something meaningful with them.

The problem I have is I want TONS of graphs.  I want to graph our load
balancer, our firewall, our CPU usage for specific processes across
servers (apache, memcache, mysql, etc.), memory usage (free/available),
mysql statistics (threads running, queries running, long running queries,
average query time, seconds behind master, etc.), and much much more.  If
I have all of these statistics being reported (and graphed), then is this
something that reliably, a pull method can perform well?  I've used SNMP a
lot to gather basic statistics, but I doubt I'd be able to get SNMP to
broadcast what the current queries per second are on the local MySQL
server easily (I know its possible - there's an SNMP module for MySQL, but
I doubt its trivial).  Wouldn't something like this be better as a script
running on ALL servers to gather the statistics and push those statistics
to a centralized daemon of sorts running on the server?

But since I also need to graph things that are snmp-based (for instance,
our load balancer information can only be obtained via snmp), my thoughts
are that using cacti is most likely the best option, but I'd have to use
the custom-graph-with-scripts option more often.  Or, like I asked,
perhaps using ganglia to push the statistics, and then running a script on
the cacti server to convert the ganglia data into graphs?