[nycbug-talk] Statistical Monitoring

pete pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Nov 5 11:37:42 EST 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:26:54 -0500 (EST), Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net>
wrote:
>> i've also found that %80 of the info that I am interested in is already
>> available easily via stock snmp configs - process counts, memory info,
>> network counters, cpu load, users logged in etc...
>
> Do you have an example of such SNMP configs?  I've used SNMP for simple
> monitoring of network traffic, etc., but never to the point of needing to

> get as much info as I really need now.

don't have time to do a tutorial for you now, but there is alot of good doc
out there.  the O'Reilly book is pretty good too.  as a hint you may want
to read a stock snmpd.conf on a BSD box and check out the "proc"
directives....but really reading the docs is the best place to start.

> Also, if SNMP really is that great of a solution, why was
> ganglia/symon/etc created in the first place?

lol - you'd have to ask the developers that one :)

what i can say about SNMP is that for better or worse it pretty much is an
industry standard for polling information from devices regardless of the
platform you are on.

-pete

--
Pete Wright