[nycbug-talk] Statistical Monitoring

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 13:00:02 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM, H. G. <tekronis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Zabbix, (http://www.zabbix.com), which is the former, and Munin
> (http://munin.projects.linpro.no/), which is the latter.

Munin is the first monitoring package I've tried that just works, with
very little config. (I'm still scarred by Nagios config experiences.)

But having to constantly type munin (everything is munin-this and
munin-that) is annoying, and looking at the complexity of the code
scared me off. I'm rolling my own very simple system using RRDTool.

That said, if I had hundreds of boxes to monitor and wanted to be able
to dive deep into as many arcane metrics as possible, I would
definitely turn to munin as the path of least effort.