[nycbug-talk] OT: Laptop is dead - what am I going to do?

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Oct 26 09:16:28 EDT 2008

Roger W. Williams wrote:
> I have a T60 running OBSD at 1400x1050 native on its 15" screen.  Its
> been running solidly for a couple of years now and the weight is
> around 6 lbs. I believe.  I've always liked the IBM/Lenovo boxes, they
> just seem to keep running.

I had a ThinkPad T43 and now an X41. . . and really like them.  Can't
imagine using another i386/amd64 laptop.

IBM/Lenovo stuff is solid. . .

The big hassle is ACPI hibernation with FBSD. . . I have to spend more
time on it for the X41, since it successfully hibernates the first time,
but doesn't the second time.  Strange.  Next step is to disable the
second IDE interface, as per posts I've read.

It's light, yet the display is fine for me, even after the T43.

The question of what to buy in laptops is difficult today, since I feel
pulled between the ultra light UMPC and regular light laptops.

One quick plug for dmesgd on nycbug.org. . . can be useful here.