[nycbug-talk] I'm missing something here...

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Wed Sep 3 14:48:40 EDT 2008

Hi Joshua,

I'm not a big X11 user, but perhaps I can help with a few things:

On Sep 3, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Joshua S. Freeman wrote:

> Hi FBSD folk-
>
> I recently installed FreeBSD6 on an old optiplex here at work.

Gah- many of your packages problems may be based on the FreeBSD 6
install, FreeBSD 7 is the current production release- 6.3 is trailing
off, a bit old now...

> I want to run a X11 on the machine but...
>
> Not only can I not find or run xf86config or XF86Setup ..
>
> When I run sysinstall and try to add them as packages I don't even
> see them
> as available packages!  I have searched and searched within
> sysinstall and I
> cannot find them.
>
> How can that be?

With that, my knee-jerk reaction (I may be wrong) to your response is
that the binary packages for 6.x  are no longer being built- try using
ports/csup (you'll need to compile things yourself, but it's still
ports!)

> Any illumination appreciated!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Joshua

Aside from that, like I said, I'm not a big X user- so I could be
wrong... but I hope that helps.

Best,
.ike