[nycbug-talk] Recruiting debconf10 volunteers

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 12:11:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Sorry to top-post, but your message is not NYC*BUG related, nor is it a
> technical BSD/UNIX post.
>
> With that, please let me refer you to our mailing list rules:
>
> • Advertising
> Advertising of non-NYCBUG related products or services is strictly
> prohibited and will result in an immediate ban if it is clear that the
> offender is advertising by spam.
>
> We keep topics to either and BSD/UNIX related technical issues, or going
> off-topic, we tend to extend misc. things discussed at meetings by
> attendees.
>
> --
> Since you aren't quite a spammer, we of course won't ban you from the list-
> but this is not the right list for this kind of solicitation.
>
> (Perhaps, I think most folks wouldn't have minded a 1 sentence post about
> this, but a full page about Debian meetings on a *BSD list?  I hope you
> understand I'm being polite when I say that this could evoke some acute
> reactions regarding support for the Debian Linux distro. :)
>
> I appreciate your enthusiasm, best to you folks and your Debian conference!

My apologies, I did not realize that I would upset anyone. (It was
unclear to me, that I was advertising a "product or service", and the
guidelines you linked do not forbid what I have done, but if it is
considered bad form, I will avoid doing so in the future.)

I assumed that since there were two projects doing BSD/Debian mashups,
that there was some overlap in the communities.

I also thought that since this group has experience planning local New
York conferences, there would be a natural fit for certain folks
wanting to help make New York known as a more open source friendly
town.

(Just so you understand, I am not a core Debian contributor, I am
volunteering because I want to see more opensource conferences in New
York. I use FreeBSD, Ubuntu, OpenSolaris, MacOS, plus a handful of
embedded OSes and assumed that many other *nix folks were as
interested in seeing the local open source community thrive as I do.)
Putting together a bid for the first USA hosted debconf (ever) will
require people of all different backgrounds, and skillsets, with the
biggest requirements being locality to New York and
availability/desire to help out.

Cheers,
Brian

P.S. - If you need any help next month at NYCBSDCon, please feel free
to ask, as I am registered and will be attending.
P.S.S. - We have started putting together a cross technology "NYC User
Groups" Google Calendar. The info for that is here:
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=nycusergroups%40brandorr.com&ctz=America/New_York
(Hopefully we will be able to make that a shorter URL at some point in
the future). In the process we discovered that the NYCBUG iCal
calendar is about three months out of date.
P.S.S.S. - Based on your response, I have also come to the realization
that there needs to be a cross technology FLOSS mailing list for New
York City, as the crosspost interested geeks are there, but there is
also a group of geeks that don't want to hear about the other stuff
too. Until such time as this list exists, I will use very careful
consideration before posting to this mailing list.

> Best,
> .ike
>

> On Sep 7, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Brian Gupta wrote:
>
>> I realize this is a bit offtopic, but I feel that all the local New
>> York tech groups are part of an extended family, and that anything we
>> can do to extend that family, and increase awareness of open source
>> software is a good thing.
>>
>> One side note: The debian userspace is available for FreeBSD and
>> NetBSD, so I am not completely offtopic. :)
>> FreeBSD: http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/ NetBSD:
>> http://www.debian.org/ports/netbsd/
>>
>> I am a member of the local team preparing a bid to host DebConf10 in
>> New York City, and can really use some volunteers now to help with
>> planning, and later to help with logistics.
>>
>> Here is the info for the bid:
>>
>> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/NewYork
>>
>> Here is the video from DebConf8 where Jimmy Kaplowitz first presented
>> the draft of the bid.
>>

>> http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2008/debconf8/low/601_DebConf_10.ogg
>>
>> We have a few short months to flesh out a draft.
>>
>> If you are interested, please register for the DebianNYC mailing list
>> and post your interest to the list.
>>
>> We will be meeting here occasionally: IRC://irc.debian.org/debconf-nyc
>> Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself.
>>
>> Also feel free to forward this to any interested parties.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>
>> P.S. - The DebianNYC user group gets together every month or two, so
>> if you are interested in joining other users and devs in the Debian
>> family, feel free to join.
>>
>> --
>> - Brian Gupta

- Brian Gupta