[nycbug-talk] relevant fork: NYCBSDCon volunteers. . .

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 14:21:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 10:20 PM, George Rosamond
<george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> There's a number of areas in which we need volunteers for the
> conference.  Some of this was discussed at the last NYCBUG meeting.
>
> 1.  If you are on a campus, around some computer store or some coffee
> shop, download, print and post the flier.  Get the word out.

I can print out flyers, but posting them is a bit out of my realm. One
thought, would you like me to contact the various user group leaders
in the area, and see if they are open to posting to their announce
lists?

> 2.  The Friday Oct 10 social at Havanna Central we'll need some people
> to show up around 6 pm and make sure there's some critical mass for
> those arriving.  We'll have enough people later on, but lots of the
> out-of-town visitors may feel a bit confused in a Columbia-area bar
> early on a Friday night.

This I can help with. Please keep me posted as to who I need to meet,
and what your expectations are.

> 3.  Early Saturday 7:30 am, we will need a bunch of people to post the
> flier (to be updated with a campus map by Ike :) around. . . by the 1
> stop at 116th street. . . and all along the path to Davis Auditorium.
> And the security guards at 116th Street should be reminded about the
> conference, since they will inevitably be dealing with wandering
> con-attendees.

7:30am is gonna be a bit (way too) early for me, but I am on W. 71st
so I am sorta in the neighborhood if you can't get enough volunteers.

> 4.  As some people may remember, no food or drinks are allowed inside
> Davis Auditorium. . . help keep the place clean after the Saturday then
> the Sunday end sessions.  Having Columbia U for the con is an awesome
> privilege for us. . considering any hotel we looked at last year for
> "no-con" was many many times more expensive. . .

Can you please elaborate?

> Please also pray, meditate, threaten TV weather commentators, whatever
> you can do to ensure that we don't have torrential winds and rain, Hamid
> Karzai (Afghan president) visiting, massive 7th avenue subway line
> repairs or other utter flukes happen years past.

Will do. ;)

- Brian Gupta