[nycbug-talk] Larry Ellison on "Cloud Computing"

pete pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Sep 29 14:11:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:48:34 -0400, Siobhan Lynch <slynch2112 at me.com>
wrote:
> Seems like being cynical is a prerequisite for working with unix in
> general - eh?

well - i'm not sure about that; but i think the point is this: the basic
operating principle(s) are not that new, and have been tried by a lot of
companies over time.  i think the joking bit is a side effect of the
cynical marketing that surrounds these efforts.

> While I somewhat agree - amazon is still in pioneering territory -
> lots of companies built data rooms in their companies then came Exodus
> and other colocation providers - lots of people built their own
> "grids" or virtual machine computing with hypervisors and such in
> their datacenters - now Amazon is in the same space metaphorically as
> the colo providers - all they need is a decent SLA and a way to
> recover fast.

they my be pioneering in how they market this, or in their billing model;
but i remember working with IBM years ago to run my applications on their
managed clusters/grids/cloud etc, in IBM run DC's.  I'm sure IBM was not
the first to do this either.  unfortunately - for us we found that this did
not scale for us from a pricing/performance perspective.

FWIW - this is coming from an HPC environment so it may have worked for
some other companies out there with different business models....but it
certainly did not work for us.

-pete

--
Pete Wright