[nycbug-talk] Postgres memory usage FreeBSD

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Apr 8 18:17:55 EDT 2009

On 8-Apr-09, at 2:14 PM, Matt Terenzio wrote:

> Recently added some RAM to a FreeBSD system. Is it likely that I
> need to
> recompile the kernel in order for Postgresql to be able to take
> advantage of
> the extra ram?

Hi Matt,
Not much to go on here - is your system 32bit or 64bit.  How much
memory did you have before the upgrade, how much after?  If you system
is 32bit is PAE enabled?  After adding the RAM did you see the new
memory in "dmesg" or in "top" even?

taking a wild guess - you should be all set (assuming you are using a
default kernel on a 64bit system).

-pete