[nycbug-talk] dns slaves serve up empty data

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Aug 1 15:40:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Miles Nordin wrote:

> ...and if they do, get a different company to be your slave server.  (I
> like gandi in general but have not used this feature of theirs.)

I recently started using zoneedit.com for a personal domain.  The price
was right.  So far they seem decent enough.

My registrar, 1&1/Schlunde offers secondary service but it never worked
and the support was just horrible.  Three reps in a row claimed that their
slave not answering for my domain was "normal" because "our server takes
over when yours fails" and the secondaries "don't normally answer replies
since they are secondary servers".  Yeah, whatever.  About a week after
moving to zoneedit, they replied that an admin had "fixed" the problem.

Charles