[nycbug-talk] Best BSD development method?

N.J. Thomas thomas at zaph.org
Tue Aug 4 00:48:42 EDT 2009

* Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> [2009-08-03 17:41:42-0400]:
> What's the best FreeBSD "virtualization" setup out there?  I was
> considering either ordering a FreeBSD jail from a provider, or getting
> a FreeBSD VPS from somewhere. I'd probably prefer the former, as it
> keeps things native.

For the last year and a half, I have VPS setups from RootBSD and
JohnCompanies (the top two FreeBSD VPS providers). Both are excellent
and I heartily recommend a VPS setup if you know what you are doing --
basically if you know how to admin a box properly, then VPS is for you.

If you had to pick one, I'd recommend RootBSD over JC. Their VPS is
cheaper, and you get a Xen instance that you have console access to and
have full network, kernel, and source upgrade access. The JC server is a
little more restrictive (I think they provide a jailed system), that you
cannot upgrade in place, and I don't believe they have console access.

But they are both very good service providers and both have excellent
support.

Thomas

P.S. I have no affiliation with either company, apart from being a
(satisfied) customer.