[nycbug-talk] fave BSD tips/tricks?

Michael Hernandez mhernandez at techally.com
Mon Aug 24 15:01:21 EDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:
>
>> I'm finishing up an article for BSD mag on BSD tips and tricks.
>> Anyone
>> have a favourite tip or trick they'd like to see in this article?
>
> I have two non-spectacular "tips" relating to jails:
>
> -Shamelessly stolen from George R., /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/jailaudit
> a very
> handy tool to report on all vulnerabilities in all jails.  Output
> comes
> with the main host's daily run.
>
> -Up until FBSD 7.1, multiple IPs in a jail were not possible without
> a set
> of external patches.  As of 7.2 this is included.  It works flawlessly
> (tested a box with a few hundred IPs in two jails).  Additionally,
> ezjail
> can deal with this, just add the IPs, separated by commas, to the
> "export
> jail_php4_web_bway_net_ip=" line.

I have one regarding NetBSD 5 in Parallels 4...

If you try to get NetBSD 5.x to work in Parallels by telling it the
guest OS is "Other" (I also tried tried lying and saying it was
FreeBSD with similar results), it might not have networking. To get
around this, try telling Parallels that the guest OS is Solaris! That
worked for me!

--Mike H