[nycbug-talk] fave BSD tips/tricks?

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com
Wed Aug 26 10:29:39 EDT 2009

on 8/26/2009 8:11 AM Brian Cully said the following:
> 	As George says, it's not 1995 anymore. Developers are starting to
> reach for GUI toolkits for administration over CLI, and some tasks are
> just plain better done in GUI, anyway (wireshark is a huge win over
> tcpdump, especially in a crunch).

Why are developers on production servers?
Why are you developing on production servers?

There's a bit of difference between J. Random Godaddy hosting where
everybody's on one machine -- for a development environment, I encourage
having a full complement of packages. For my production environments, I
want much tighter controls.

> -bjc

//jbaltz
--