[nycbug-talk] fave BSD tips/tricks?

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com
Wed Aug 26 14:53:51 EDT 2009

on 8/26/2009 12:42 PM Brian Cully said the following:
> On 26-Aug-2009, at 10:29, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:
>> Why are developers on production servers?
>     Because sometimes a sysadmin doesn't have enough knowledge of a
> complex piece of software to figure out why things are going awry in
> production. Sometimes problems only crop up in production. Sometimes
> your developers are your sysadmins. Sometimes sysadmins prefer these
> tools or have no other suitable CLI substitute.

That's right...so you take dumps over, or you sit with them...on a
not-the-production-server machine.

I'm not talking about everything-on-a-server. I'm talking about, you
know, real production environments with real change control and whatnot.

>> Why are you developing on production servers?
>     I didn't say I or anyone else was. X is still valuable even if you

It's the response to "why do you need all <this> on a production
server?" You don't need a compiler on a production server. And no, while
it's "handy", you don't need X on a production server.

> do the actual development/compilation somewhere else. I just don't see
> the harm except for niche environments. Why should I fret about having X
> take up a hundred megs of space even if I don't use it when I have a
> terabytes? And odds are good that at some point in the future, if I use
> the box long enough, I'll want X in a crunch.

More straw -- I never mentioned saving disk space.

> -bjc

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman  jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com  +1 718 763 7405