[nycbug-talk] BSD Cluster Filesystem Roundup

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Mon Feb 23 09:14:26 EST 2009

On 2/17/2009, DragonFly 2.2 was released[1]. One of the most
interesting aspects of this release is that HAMMER is now considered
production ready. If you are not familiar with what HAMMER is, check
out Matt Dillon's talk from NYCBSDCon 2008 [2] for more information.

I am curious if anyone has played around with HAMMER and would be
willing to provide us with a trip report? Actually, I would be curious
to find out what your experience has been with DragonFly as a whole.

Recently, I stumbled upon gluster[3] which is an open source (GPL3)
clustered filesystem that supports Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD 7.
It aggregates various storage bricks over Infiniband RDMA or TCP/IP
interconnect into one large parallel network file system. It makes
use of FUSE which seems a bit suspect, but they say they can still
sustain 1 GB/s per storage brick over Infiniband RDMA. To me, this
looks like the most promising clustered filesystem that supports BSD.

I guess the question becomes, what other clustered filesystems are
there that support BSD and has anyone deployed them to production?

[1] http://www.dragonflybsd.org/release22/
[2] http://www.nycbsdcon.org/2008/files/dillon_hammer.tgz
[3] http://www.gluster.org

--