[nycbug-talk] BSD Cluster Filesystem Roundup

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Tue Feb 24 04:12:56 EST 2009

Steven Kreuzer <skreuzer at exit2shell.com> wrote:

> I guess the question becomes, what other clustered filesystems are
> there that support BSD and has anyone deployed them to production?

I don't think open source BSD systems today has any enterprise level
production ready clustered filesystem.  GlusterFS is indeed a very
interesting project, but I would not depend on it for real production
work.  The project is not mature enough IMHO, but definetly something to
look out for in the future.

There was/is an excellent clustered file system in Tru64, an OS which
interestingly is based on BSD.  This clustering technology in turn was
derived from VMS, which had the most reliable and superior clusters for
many many years, and Unix has just only recently been catching up to it.

Unfortunately VMS/Tru64 clustering technology is still proprietary.
Maybe some merge between Lustre and ZFS will be a superior technology
for us in the future.  Sun definetly has abilities to successfully pull
off such project.

Others like RedHat's GFS is crap in IMHO.

--Andy