[nycbug-talk] dns abuse

Max Gribov max at neuropunks.org
Wed Jan 21 10:57:52 EST 2009

Yarema wrote:

> Steve, what makes you say that Max's DNS servers were used for a DDoS
> attack against 76.9.31.42 and 69.50.142.110?  It seems to me like it's
> the other way around..  But I haven't got my brain wrapped around this
> one yet so I'm just looking to get enlightened on the matter.

This dns attack is very similar to good ole smurf - only this time they
are spoofed dns requests for the root zone (~450 bytes) with sources set
as those ips. As a result, any server with enabled recursion or
apparently even with disabled recursion but . zone loaded as 'hint' type
in bind will return that result to the servers under attack. Multiply
450 bytes by several hundred K and you have a sizable ddos going.

For example, consider UDNS2.ULTRADNS.NET

nslookup www.yahoo.com UDNS2.ULTRADNS.NET
Server:        UDNS2.ULTRADNS.NET
Address:    204.74.101.1#53

Non-authoritative answer: