[nycbug-talk] jsch, java ssh?

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Wed Jan 28 11:01:51 EST 2009

Thanks Eric,

On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:39 AM, Eric Lee wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:25 AM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of JSch, (a native java ssh
>> implimentation).
>>
>> http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/index.html
>>

> I've only used it to scp files to and from hosts over the net, in
> ant and in standalone apps. But it does that well enough.

That's *exactly* what it's being used for over here- automated scp of
files, neatly using ssh keys and all.  Also, for Eclipse, it's used to
wrap cvs/svn access with ssh.

So far, I'm somewhat counter-intuitively excited to see it working- I
guess I'm trying to shake the nagging feeling from sad-sack
experiences with vendor-supplied ssh, (ancient closed-source ssh V1
junk, was in PDU's... worst case scenario for junky software).
This ssh implementation is at least open, (BSD Licensed even), and
seems commonly/heavily used used?

>> Good or bad, I find myself dealing with vendor sw which relies on it-
>> so I'm trying to learnin about it's history.
>> It seems, in the Java world, I'm told everyone uses this library,
>> it's
>> the de-facto.  Additionally, popular things like the Eclipse IDE
>> use it.
>>

> Interactive sessions, X forwarding, running a socks proxy and many
> of the other features you get with original recipe ssh I've never
> tried using it - but I get the impression that it's really not meant
> for that.
>
> -Eric

Noted, thanks!

Best,