[nycbug-talk] jsch, java ssh?

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:20:24 EST 2009

Hello Ike,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of JSch, (a native java ssh
> implimentation).
>
> http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/index.html
>
> Good or bad, I find myself dealing with vendor sw which relies on it-
> so I'm trying to learnin about it's history.
> It seems, in the Java world, I'm told everyone uses this library, it's
> the de-facto.  Additionally, popular things like the Eclipse IDE use it.
>
> What do folks here think about completely non-openssh ssh
> implementations, let alone one in Java?  I mean, I can see positive
> and negative aspects right off the bat...  but the shock of a pure-
> java ssh is still sinking in...

I am using jsch extensively in ant. It supports password and ssh keys
authentication and I use it always with keys because otherwise you
have to provide the password to your build script which breaks the
automation. It has the ability to remotely execute commands and copy
files using scp.

Ant provides tasks for this - <sshexec> for executing a remote command
and <scp> for copying files.

If you provide more information on how you want to use jsch from java
or ant, I may be able to give more details.

Regards
Rambius

--
Tangra Mega Rock: http://www.radiotangra.com